Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Poetry Month Addendum

Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech
Right at the end of poetry month I got an advanced reading copy of Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech. Even though poetry month is over now, I have to gush about this book. It's a sequel to Love That Dog and is told in poems too. Jack and his favorite teacher, Miss Stretchberry, are back. This time we learn about Jack's deaf mother and how they communicate and Jack learns to appreciate cats--even the horrible black cat who scratches him and is the inspiration for the title. Here is the first poem in the book:

I hate that cat
like a dog hates a rat
I said I hate that cat
like a dog hates a rat

Hate to see it in the morning
hate to see that
F A T black cat.

There is discussion of onomatopoeia and alliteration, what his uncle Bill calls "real writing", and the poetry of William Carlos William. You will be inspired to read more poetry and maybe even write a poem or two of your own.

No comments: