Monday, July 9, 2007

July 9, 2007

The Aurora County All Stars, by Deborah Wiles
I've been reading this out loud to my kids. She writes so well for that. The words want to be spoken out loud. Every once in a while I think "Good garden of peas!" to myself, an expression from her book Love, Ruby Lavender. No particular phrase is sticking in my mind from this book but the characters are well drawn. There is a mystery about an old man's past. And suspense--will the Aurora County All Stars get to play their traditional 4th of July baseball game (the only game they play all year) or will the whole team have to participate in the pageant commemorating the founding of Aurora County? Baseball, over the top theatricality and southern charm are all there in equal parts. Good garden of peas, it's a good read.

No comments: